Imagine you’re out digging on a job site or even in your own yard and you hit a power line. What are the possible outcomes? If you’re lucky, the fuse/breaker will pop and you’ll need to have the wire repaired by an electrician. Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky. What if you hit a 5kv line and get electrocuted? Or you hit the feed to your house causing a short circuit causing an electrical fire in your electronics in your home. (Yes it can happen. Stay tuned for our blog on short circuits)
What if you hit a gas line?
Have you ever seen the picture of a field with a big hole in the ground and it’s all burnt? That farmer was using a post hole auger to build a new fence when he hit a high pressure pipe line
All of the above can be avoided if you just call before you dig. In Alberta 1-800-242-3447 is the number. It might save a life.
Ok so you’ve called One Call, now what?
A few things you need to know
1. Keep your One Call paperwork on site.
2. It is only valid for 2 weeks.
3. You still need to maintain a minimum distance when digging with machinery around the located services. If you need to dig inside that zone it might be best to call a hydro vac or grab a shovel.
4. If you hit a line your first call is void and needs to be re filed with another locate request.
5. If you hit a line you are responsible for the damages.
What do I do if I hit an electrical line?
If you hit an electrical line be very careful and follow your company’s safety procedures.
Who do you call to have the power turned off?
- If it’s in Edmonton, call EPCOR @ 780-412-4500
- If it’s outside of Edmonton, call Fortis @ 1-866-717-3113
Ok, once the power is off and it’s safe again, who fixes it? If it’s owned by Fortis or EPCOR they will fix it. If it’s a customer owned wire you need to call an electrician.
Call Myarc Electric for 24 hour service @ 1-866-210-0293. We will come out and make the repair, have it inspected, and get you back up and running.
Once the Electrician is done they will call the provider and have power turned back on.
It is ALWAYS very important to make sure One Call is called and you have reviewed your company’s safety procedures before you dig!
Don’t forget to like this blog and check out our other blogs at www.myarcelectric.com
Give us a call at 1 866 210 0293 for all your electrical emergencies in Edmonton and surrounding areas.